Sunday, September 23, 2012

012. Tattoo Inspiration

Boredom has prompted many unique and stupid ideas from my friends, but nothing makes me smack my forehead like when they decide "Hey let's go get tattoos". It's happened three times in my friend group, and I've been present for two of them. The one time I wasn't there, two boys got "WHO DAT" tattooed in huge letters across their butt cheeks. I wish I was kidding, but sadly I'm not. Luckily when we decided to go yesterday, everyone was very tasteful and practical in their decisions. The shop, Pigment, was painted bright orange and decorated with vintage looking tattoo art, New Orleans signs, and Playboy magazines. I snapped a couple of inspiration shots.

My friend Kristina got her belly button re-pierced. Here's her sitting with me and my friend Jake. I'm wearing a vintage floral romper, and my DIY sunglasses from this post. I wish I got better pictures of my outfit!

My friend Lily's tattoo was the most spontaneous. I was quite worried about her rushing into it, but in the end it looked lovely, and I think she was very happy with the result. The quote is from East of Eden, one of her favorite books and one of the next on my reading list. The full quote is this:

“But I have a new love for that glittering instrument, the human soul. It is a lovely and unique thing in the universe. It is always attacked and never destroyed - because 'Thou mayest.”
Although I don't understand the exact connotations because I haven't read the book, the quote grows on me every time I hear it.

My friend Jake got the words "And so on." tattooed on his wrist. It's from Kurt Vonnegut's Breakfast of Champions, another book I have yet to read. Apparently Vonnegut explains that "And so on" is the only proper way to end a story about a human life, because time moves on. I didn't get a chance to snap a picture of the finished tattoo, but he got it in this awesome typewriter font that looks really great. Perhaps I'll get a picture sometime today and edit it in.

Becca has been wanting her tattoo for a while. She got a quote in French "L'essential est invisible pour les yeux", or "What is essential is invisible to the eyes".

Finally, my friend Emily got a small arrow on her foot to signify that she is forever moving forward, and an equal sign on her wrist to signify that everyone is equal.

Here's the whole group of us who went sitting together. I love that we look like such a happy little family! I have nothing against tattoos, and I think that they are absolutely awesome on some people, but I'd always be too chicken to go through with it. I'm the one holding the camera.

1 comment:

  1. this makes me want to get a little tattoo so badly! i love these!

    ReplyDelete