Tuesday, September 18, 2012

010. How To DIY Ombre Dip Dye Skirt

I picked up this skirt for $1.50 at a thrift store in Chicago before I left for school. I loved the high waisted cut, but it was a bit plain and I could tell it needed a little makeover. Unfortunately, the 'before' pictures of the skirt seemed to have been mysteriously deleted from my camera. I think the finished project speaks for itself in spite of it.

The Process: 


Being a poor and limited college student, my process was a bit uncouth but it just goes to show how easy the project is. Instead of using a bucket, I used my sad little trash can to hold the bleach solution. Here are the steps:
1| Start with a solution that is two parts water and one part bleach. Pour into a bucket or can in which you can fit your desired article of clothing.
2| Dip clothing into the solution to the desired height. Depending on the fabric, it can take anywhere from 15 minutes to an entire hour to fully react. Every article of clothing will come up with a slightly different result.
3| To create more 'levels' of lighter dye (I didn't really do this on my skirt) increase the concentration of bleach in the solution. You don't need much more to make a difference. Raise the article out of the dye again to the desired height of the new level.
4| To halt the bleaching process, thoroughly rinse the bleach solution out of the skirt and then dip it into a solution of one part vinegar and two parts water. I did not do this to my skirt, but if you are planning on doing multiple levels this will help keep them distinct.
5| Wash the article of clothing in cold water and enjoy wearing!


I found this pair of shorts at top shop with a very similar color scheme! My initial plan was to bleach the skirt white, but I was really into the purple/pink color when it started to show. It was a really nice surprise!

No comments:

Post a Comment