Tuesday, July 24, 2012

002. New Orleans Blues

I want to prove to myself that I will actually post on this blog before I start advertising it and sharing it with other people. I have a tumblr and belong to a couple other similar social sites, but I really feel like blogging in a medium that's more focused on writing is better for me.

My name is Samantha and I am currently 19 years old. I am currently studying Anthropology at Tulane University, which is located in New Orleans. I am fond of all sorts of foreign times and cultures, but my deepest academic passion is studying the Classic Maya and their writing system.

Although I'm originally from Chicago, I feel more at home in New Orleans than I have ever felt anywhere in my life. I think of it less like a city and more like a living, breathing organism that I have built a relationship with. There is a quote from a musician named Ellis Marsalis that I believe to be the most accurate way to describe life in New Orleans: "In other places, culture comes down from on high. In New Orleans it bubbles up from the street". Culture in New Orleans is a collective. Everybody is part of something bigger than themselves, and they know it. Right now, I'm back in Chicago for the summer, but I can't wait to get back to school and capture the life I see throughout that city. I miss it every day.

Anyways, Here are some pictures taken at one of my favorite forest preserves. The top and purse are both from H&M, and I made the skirt myself. I was considering uploading a tutorial for it, but I don't have any pictures of the process, and I didn't use a pattern, so I didn't think it would be very helpful. I'm quite happy with how it turned out though! The black dog running around with me is Kobi, my family's dearly spoiled mutt.

No comments:

Post a Comment